Top 5 ways to beat Spring Allergies
If you’re like me, this time of year is exhilarating - the snow is melting and the days are getting looong! But for millions of Americans, spring allergies dampen the fun and excitement that spring can bring. As a lifelong allergy sufferer, I’m here to relate the tips that have helped me get through spring the last 12 years without the miserable stuffy sinuses, itchy eyes, runny nose, and dull headache, all naturally.
1. Avoid mucus-producing foods. The top two by far are dairy and sugar. As tempting as Easter candy can be, keeping my ears and nose unplugged feels better than candy, milk, and cheese taste! This time of the year is a great time to dial in on nutrition to prep for summer!
2. Add extra anti-inflammatory foods. This can be super easy and sustainable, such as adding lemon to your water, or eating extra greens with your meals. Less inflammation means less mucus, less itching, less discomfort!
3. Consider a cleanse or fast. A 3-day juice cleanse helps pack in great immune-boosting power of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Both a juice cleanse or a day long water fast can help your body clear out toxins.
4. Eat local honey. Honey is a great antioxidant and has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-allergenic properties. Many sufferers from seasonal allergies have reported relief after having local honey in their tea or raw by the tablespoon. Since bees collect pollen from the flowers in the environment, their honey contains tiny and safe amounts of pollen that can help the allergy sufferer become accommodated to the pollen.
5. Chiropractic and cranial work. The nerves that supply the eyes, ears, and nose are all located in the upper neck. A misalignment here can keep these areas from working as well as they could. Many of our patients report instant drainage of their sinuses and better function in their immune system after an adjustment. Gentle cranial work can also help the fluid that may be stuck somewhere in a cavity or sinus in your head free up instantly. We also love to teach our patients drainage techniques that they can use at home.
As always, we offer complimentary phone consults. If you’re frustrated by the idea of a season of feeling stuffy and itchy, call us at 612-354-2231. If you’re a current patient and want to talk more about tips or strategies, we are happy to schedule extra time and talk more about how to have an allergy-free spring!