If you’re like me, it’s easy to spiral out of control in the holiday season. Anybody else switch over to pumpkin pie for breakfast after Thanksgiving? Or stay up too late binging on Hallmark Christmas movies after the kids go to bed? Or have an overwhelming credit card bill after purchasing holiday gifts, foods, tickets, etc?
With a few quick swaps of some habits, it’s easy to stay healthy and avoid much of the unwanted holiday stress and pounds this December:
1. To indulge and enjoy all the treats of the season without ruining your waistline, try intermittent fasting. Restricting your eating to an 8-hour period of the day is a great way to keep your blood sugar stable. Our previous blogs describe the benefits and simple ways to start.
2. Fill up on veggies before heading to your holiday parties. If you get in lots of nutrients and dense fiber, you’re much less likely to overeat.
3. Minimize stress by practicing gratitude. Keeping a simple daily journal of 1-3 things you’re thankful for can help you focus on what’s going well instead of all the things you have to do!
4. Too busy to keep up your regular workout routine? Get in your exercise or movement quickly and efficiently with tabata training. Less than 20 min a day can help fire up your metabolism, rid your body of stress hormones, and give you boundless energy to get through the crazy holiday schedule.
5. Keep up your adjustments! Since adjustments improve your immune system, regulate your metabolism, lower your blood pressure, and help with stress, getting adjusted is a great way to deal with all the extra demands of the season.